Scroll Top
8833 Perimeter Park Blvd., Suite 1004, Jacksonville, FL 32216

Tips to Help Enforce Child Support & Alimony

Child Support Enforcement blog Jacksonville FL

What Can I Do If My Ex Stops Paying Child Support or Alimony?

This is a common question we’re asked. When a divorce happens, there are many cases in which one spouse has to pay alimony to the other spouse. In situations involving a child or children, one parent is often ordered by the court to pay child support, even in situations in which the parents may have not been married. The goal of alimony and child support is to ensure that the change in lifestyle brought about by the divorce does not negatively affect the quality of living of the spouse and/or children. Even with a court order requiring one party to alimony or child support, in many situations, an ex stops paying, leaving the other party and the children in a dire financial state situation.

Notify the Court of Unreceived Alimony or Child Support

What happens when you are not getting paid the alimony or child support that is owed to you? You first have to notify the court. This lets the court know the ex is no longer paying what was ordered by the court. Your lawyer can help to file the necessary paperwork that is needed.

Once the court gets this information, there are a couple of things the court can do:

1. The court may freeze the bank account of the person not paying and direct deposit what is owed and monthly amounts thereafter into the account of the other party
2. The court can deduct the person’s wages straight from their check and deposit this into the other party’s account
3. The court may order jail time in situations if it is clear that the ex is simply not paying, even though he/she does have the ability to pay

The court can also revoke a person’s driver’s license, hunting license or fishing license for not paying alimony or child support.

If you have an ex-spouse or partner who has stopped paying child support or alimony, the court can step in and take control of the case. You should not remain quiet and hope for the best. If your ex-spouse or partner is not paying now, and does not have a good reason for not paying, then chances are he or she is not going to pay in the future. Having a good lawyer on your side is the only way to approach these types of cases.

For those who are located in Jacksonville, Florida, Wendy Norman, is a family attorney working with all matters related to divorce, family, child support and alimony. She will work hard for you to ensure your case is handled properly and that you receive the support you deserve.

For a Free Consultation With a Jacksonville Divorce Attorney, Call Wendy Norman (904) 306-9926.

Related Posts

Comments (4)

I live in St augustine but got my divorce in Ft Lauderdale. He is in arrears in the alimony. Where do I start. I am disabled & travel would be a problem if I have to go to court. Anything you suggest would be appreciated.

Hi Charlotte,
I do not practice in South Florida, so would recommend you contact an attorney in Ft. Lauderdale. You may be able to attend hearings by phone, under the circumstances. An attorney familiar with the judges and courts in Broward County would be able to assist you. Best of luck, and thank you for contacting Norman Law.

I am currently on a lease with a verbally abusive person who wreaks havoc for me and my young adult son. We are all three on the lease. I am constantly being verbally harassed and abused everyday. This person owns nothing but a couple of bags of clothes. I furnish the entire house and have made it our home. I am surprised by the character of the person who is abusing me and I need him to leave us alone. What are my options other than finding somewhere else to live. I am a nurse and I work crazy hours and moving seems like an impossible task. But living this way has become unbearable. I appreciate any advice you could provide for me and thank you for your time.

Thank you for reaching out to Norman Law. Unfortunately, if he is on the lease, he has a legal right to be there. If you and your adult son choose to leave, you may still be legally obligated to pay rent based on the lease. Verbal abuse is not a basis for the Court to intervene via an injunction (a.k.a., restraining order) or for the police to become involved. From the information you have provided, it seems that moving out is your best option at this point. If things become physical or you are in fear for your safety, at that point you may be able to get an injunction and /or assistance from the police.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Privacy Preferences
When you visit our website, it may store information through your browser from specific services, usually in form of cookies. Here you can change your privacy preferences. Please note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our website and the services we offer.